Wednesday, September 22, 2010

McAfee launches a -- yawn -- short URL service

Filed under: Internet
McAfee has decided to get in to the short URL game. Why? Possibly because they were looking for an additional reason for techies to loathe them -- if there's one thing more hated than craptacular software, it's yet another URL truncator.

The theory is that people will use McAfee's short URL service because the links are managed by a trusted recognized security company. I'll say this for mcaf.ee: their landing page sure is salmon-colored. Beyond that, this is just another ho-hum link shortener -- they're not even the first provider to offer "safe" links. Bit.ly has been working with Websense and Sophos since late last year.

I don't know about you, but if I was McAfee I'd be more concerned about making sure my next definition update didn't brick corporate computers. Or maybe I'd work a little harder to ensure my security suite actually gets certified by AV-Test -- you know, like Webroot managed to do.

ed note: I'm guessing they mean "blacklist," not "blackist." Proofreading: another reason you know you picked the right security company.McAfee launches a -- yawn -- short URL service originally appeared on Download Squad on Wed, 22 Sep 2010 08:03:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

TELETECH HOLDINGS TECHNITROL TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE SOFTWARE SYNTEL

No comments:

Post a Comment